Birth Doula Certification Requirements
1. Attendance Requirements
(A) Core Training of 26 hours
- 1 session may be missed and attended (within 1 year) at a future training.
- If you miss more than 1 session, you must enroll in a new training to receive a Certificate of Completion or Certification.
- Submit a Class Observation Report for each class
2. Reading Requirements
(A) Core Reading (recommended for students to read before and during training) – all of these books are required:
- The Thinking Woman’s Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
- The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin
- The Doula Book by Klaus, Kennel and Klaus
- Breastfeeding Made Simple by Nancy Mohrbacher
- Pregnancy Birth and the Newborn by Penny Simkin
- The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth by Sheila Kitzinger
- The Pregnancy Book by Sears and Sears
- The Natural Pregnancy Book by Aviva Jill Romm
- Hearts and Hands by Elizabeth Davis
- The VBAC Companion by Diane Korte
- Active Birth by Janet Balaskas
- Birthing from Within by Pam England
- Hypnobirthing by Marie Mongan
- When Survivors Give Birth by Klaus and Simkin
Submit a 1 page personal response each book. What is your reaction to the material? Do you agree/disagree? Why?
3. Proof of current Adult and Infant/Child CPR certification (Neonatal Resuscitation class is strongly recommended, though not required.)
4. View The Business of Being Born film produced by Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein
Submit a 1 page personal response to the film. What is your reaction to the material? Do you agree/disagree? Why?
5. Attendance at 6 births (occurring during or after the training) At least 3 births must include at least 1 prenatal meeting, continuous labor support, and at least 1 postpartum meeting within two weeks of baby’s birth. For each birth attended, submit the following:
- Evaluation of Labor Support Services (completed by client)
- 1-2 page summary of your experience with each family, including specific ways you provided guidance and any challenges you met.
6. Agree to Natural Resources Doula Code of Ethics/Standards of Practice
7. Certification Test To be taken at Natural Resources upon completion of all above requirements.
Submit complete packet of documentation electronically to email@example.com. Contact Bobbi at (415) 550-2611 to schedule a time to take the test. Closed book. Unlimited time. Passing score of 80% required. A certification submission-processing fee of $75 is due at the time of the test payable to Natural Resources.