Postpartum Doula Certification Requirements
Certification Requirements must be completed and submitted within 2 years of your training.
(A) Core Training of 16 hours
- 1 session may be missed and attended (within 1 year) at a future training
- If you miss more than 1 session, you must enroll in a new training to receive a Certificate of Completion or Certification
(B) Attend 2 supplemental classes: Postpartum Nutrition and Newborn Sleep
- Submit a Class Observation Report for each class.
2. Reading Requirements
Candidates must read one selection from each of the following 4 categories and submit a one page written response of each book (What is your reaction to the material? Do you agree/disagree? Why?):
Category 1: Postpartum Doulas
- Nurturing the Family: The Guide for Postpartum Doulas by Jacqueline Kelleher
Category 2: Becoming a Mother
- Mothering the New Mother by Sally Placksin
- Natural Health after Birth by Aviva Jill Romm
- Mother Nurture by Rick Hanson, Jan Hanson, Ricki Pollycove
Category 3: The Newborn
- The Baby Book by Sears and Sears
- Your Amazing Newborn by Klaus and Klaus
- The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp
Category 4: Breastfeeding
- Nursing Mother’s Companion by Kathleen Huggins
- Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers by Dr. Jack Newman
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche League
- Breastfeeding Made Simple by Nancy Mohrbacher
3. Proof of current Adult and Infant/Child CPR certification
4. Observe a Breastfeeding class or Breastfeeding support group
Submit a Class Observation Report
5. Support 6 families in the early postpartum period (first 6 weeks) occurring during or after the training. Must be at least 2 shifts of 2 hours each. Submit the following for each
- Postpartum Doula Support Form describing your experience with each family, including specific ways you provided guidance
- Natural Resources Evaluation of Postpartum Support Questionnaire must be completed by the mother of each family supported.
6. Natural Resources Doula Code of Ethics/Standards of Practice
7. Certification Test
To be taken at Natural Resources upon completion of all above requirements. Please submit complete packet of documentation electronically to postpartumdoulatraining@naturalresources- sf.com. Contact class administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 415-550-2611 to schedule a time to take the test. Closed book. Unlimited time. Passing score of 80% required. A certification submission-processing fee of $75 is due at the time of the test payable to Natural Resources.